More Information About the Lodges
This access statement aims to give an overview of access at Thistle Lodges. It is intended to help you decide whether the lodges would be suitable for you. If you have any further queries before placing a booking please contact us by email or telephone.
Location and Transport
- The lodges are part of Barend, a private holiday village set back about 0.5km from Sandyhills Bay, which is about 8km from Dalbeattie.
- The nearest railway station is at Dumfries, about 25km away.
- A bus service operates from Dumfries along the coast to Sandyhills Bay. Taxi services are available from operators in Dalbeattie.
The Barend Site
- Roads around the site are all tarmac with gravel parking alongside; a one way system operates round the site
- The site is set on a slope which varies from gentle to steep, all communal areas between the lodges are maintained as short cut grass.
- There is little external lighting around most of the site, however there is a light outside each lodge and a heavy duty torch is provided in each lodge for use at night
Arrival, Parking and Entrance
- Keys are collected from a box a the side of the lodge front door
- There is space for at least two cars to park outside each lodge, on a loose gravel surface. Additional parking is available near Reception if necessary
- Laggan Hill parking is directly outside the front door; for Bainloch there is a short sloping gravel path down to the door; for Braemar there is a short sloping part paved / part gravel path including one shallow step to the door.
- The 80cm width front doors on all three lodges have a step of about 15cm.
Inside the Lodges
- All internal doors are at least 70cm wide, and are all side hung
- The sliding doors to the balcony open to 66cm wide, with a lip of about 8cm
- The open tread stairs to the first floor are of normal width and pitch.
- There are no other internal steps in the lodges
- All areas are well lit using a combination of ceiling lights, spot lights and table lamps, and backlit mirrors in the bathrooms
- Flooring is treadmat in the hallway, hard flooring in the kitchen and bathrooms, open tread wooden stairs, and carpet in all other areas
- The downstairs bedroom is large enough for wheelchair use. The double bed can be moved on request in advance of arrival to enable wheelchair access down one side
- Access to the downstairs bathroom is possible by wheelchair, however the door cannot then be closed unless the wheelchair is removed.
- Entry to the kitchen is through a space not wide enough for a wheelchair.
- Chairs round the dining table can be positioned to allow wheelchair access to the table
Bathroom and Ensuite WC
- The bath has a standard 700mm with an over-bath shower
- The bath has a fixed glass shower screen
- There are no grabrails over or round the bath, however a suction grab rail is available in the lodge for attachment if required
- The WCs and basins are standard height and size
- Assistance dogs are welcome in the lodges, no charge is made
- The nearest hospital is Dumfries and Galloway Royal Infirmary in Dumfries, postcode DG1 4AP
- The nearest doctors surgery is the Dalbeattie Medical Practice based at The Craignair Medical Centre, postcode DG5 4AZ, telephone 01556 610331
- Internet access is available free of charge through a wifi network dedicated to Thistle Lodges.
- A laminated sheet is provided in normal font covering all essential information about the lodge, the site, appliances etc. This can be emailed to you in advance for printing in larger font if requested.